Earlier in 2016 Derek's Mom passed away from cancer. Prior to this my Aunt had found out she had cancer. And in August, she had a seizure....the cancer was now getting really aggressive. She was told she had only days to weeks. It's hard to explain my family. We've always been really close. Lived within walking distance for a great majority of my childhood, and later no more than 30-45 minute drive. But, not just close in distance. We were all there for each other through everything. Even when I moved away, I made every effort to go back home once (sometimes more) a month or every other month. My parents made the same effort. And I had visits every once in awhile from other family members as well. We moved to Texas and it got a little more difficult, but we still fit in ALOT of visits (mostly by driving). Being here, in England, has proved to be a bit more difficult. It is EXPENSIVE to fly back to the states, nearly $1000 per person. When I found out that my aunt was only given a short amount of time, it was hard to not be able to go back. Sure, I could have made the sacrifice.....but I also have a little family of my own to take care of. My baby was starting Kindergarten soon, my girls were starting school as well. Blake had a birthday coming up....and his first football game. All things I didn't want to miss at home. I had thoughts run through my head....should I go now to be able to see her and talk to her, or go when she's passed to offer support for family. For the time being, I decided to wait. I knew I was needed at home at this particular time. As the weeks went on and the kids were getting into a routine with the new school year....and Blake was finally getting adjusted to going to school all day, everyday....I purchased my tickets to go home. I am soooo glad that I did and that I was able to see my aunt, talk to her, let her know how much I love her, have a girls sleepover and painting party. It was a good visit. Very emotional...and quick (even though it was 10 days). I missed my kids and Derek. But it was good. I especially enjoyed my time with my parents and grandma without the grand kids there to take time away from us.



Mom and I at the Covered Bridge Festival
I can't believe I didn't get a picture with Sandy. ;(
Here are some pictures of her with family -- her reason for making it as long as she did! faith, family, friends
I think it was also her down to earth, laid back attitude and amazing sense of humor.
Back when I first found out she was diagnosed, I sent her this bracelet.
She gave it back to me on the visit and I wear it nearly every day.
She had a couple mottos. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. And, Faith, Family, Friends. I couldn't go back for my visit empty handed. I wanted her to know I was always thinking of her even though I couldn't be there physically.
One thing I won't forget. Every day I was there, she woke up saying "it's a good day" because she was still here. Can your attitude be any better than that!? I was doing so good at following her example when I got back, but have already slipped. Posting this is a good reminder for me.
The day I left to head back to the states for my visit, we found out that our sweet nephew, Cole, had passed away. 2016 was a rough year. I can tell you without a doubt that I hate cancer. I am grateful to believe that families are forever. Until we meet again!
No comments:
Post a Comment