Friday, August 20, 2010

Texas Tidbits

It's been about a week since I've blogged. I know some of my faithful followers are probably wondering what's going on! The answer is not much! Just the same old thing - trying to keep the house clean with two little ones running around. It's been kind of nice to not always be on the go. Now that school is starting up we probably won't be doing as much. Kinda sad, but it will be okay.
We did go to Sea World yesterday. It was short lived though. About an hour into being there we were ready for snacks. All of a sudden Allie starts crying that her stomach hurts. I asked her if she needed to go to the bathroom and she said no. The next thing I know she's standing up, crying in pain and her face is turning white as a ghost. Then her lips start turning purple. I knew she was still breathing because she was talking. I got out her water and made her drink as much as she could. I think she was dehydrated. I remember asking her at breakfast if she wanted milk or water and she said water....I also remember when we left the house her cup of water was still full. She's okay now. We just need to make sure she's getting enough fluids in her.
We also skyped for the first time this week! It was a learning process, but so fun and neat. If anyone has a webcam and wants to skype look us up! (bhuber11)
So, yeah, Allie starts preschool Monday! All kinds of mixed emotions going on about that. She's excited though. Avery strangely seems older now that she's two. It's like she knows it and wants to act more her age....in just about every picture on her she's holding her blankey. She usually doesn't go anywhere without it. Well, just in the past couple of days she will make sure her blankey stays in her bed - - and that's the only time she has it!
Derek is busy with work and now he's in Scouts again so that takes up his Tuesday evenings. He's also training for a 1/2 marathon and some xtreme race. The race consists of 6 miles of running, 22 mile biking, 2 miles of rafting, and then there is a mystery event.
I've been doing my boot camp with getsexysanantonio. I feel good, but still waiting to "see" some results. It's all good though.
We started doing a Thursday night swim as a family. I'll post some pics, but for now I'll go on to my Texas (at least San Antonio) Tidbits.

  • the drivers here are CrAzY. No joke. I am so cautious when I'm out driving b/c people here seriously have no clue. There isn't a day that goes by that either Derek or I haven't seen an accident of some sort -- especially when it rains.
  • the road system is different from the Midwest (and everywhere we've visited). They have access/frontage roads everywhere! It makes it hard to get to where you need to go. I don't even know how to explain it.
  • People always say that everyone is friendlier in the south. I don't think so.....at least not here. Don't get me wrong, there are some great people, but we've come across some pretty mean and rude people.
  • Weather is HOT, can be humid, but no matter what it makes you sweat even if you're just standing there doing nothing.
  • Texas has tax free days! I think it's just on clothes, backpacks and school supplies. It's this weekend, which probably explains why the store was so crowded today.
  • Tons of military bases around here
  • San Antonio is huge. When my parents were visiting they kept asking if we were still in San Antonio or Helotes. Helotes is super tiny.....San Antonio is massive! I believe it's the 8th largest city in the US.
I'm sure there are more, but it's getting close to time for us to leave to meet Allie's teacher.....so here's some pics!

this one cracks me up. She's so fearless! (or maybe just clumsy)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And that somebody is GG Allie..

Avery, did you just go under the water?

Love you....xoxoxox