Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What's new?

I know I said I wouldn't post for a couple of weeks. Well, it turns out my mobile (that's a cell phone) has tethering capabilities. Yeah, I didn't know what that was either. My computer savvy husband had to show me what it was all about. Basically, I can turn my phone into a wifi hotspot allowing me to get access to our laptop as well. Pretty cool! I figured I would take a break from the unpacking for a quick update.

We moved in to our beautiful home exactly one week ago. We have been unpacking like crazy, taking pictures of everything that was broken, scratched, damaged in any way during the move (which there is a lot of), trying to figure out where to put things, etc........all the while dealing with the daily grind. I don't know why I get the itch to move every 2-3 years because it's a lot of work (although it is so fun exploring new places)! It's been exhausting. So exhausting, in fact, I fell asleep yesterday afternoon......a very deep sleep (and, yes, Blake was napping too). I remember my alarm going off. The one I set to tell me I had 10 minutes until I needed to get in the car and head to the bus stop. Well, stupid me turned it off and I fell back asleep which never happens! I ended up getting a random text from Derek at 4:07, I didn't even look at it, it just woke me up and I looked at the clock and started panicking and running everywhere (grabbing Blake, my purse and keys.......not even my shoes) and was out the door. I was already 10 minutes late. So many things were going through my head as the bus stop is a good 7 minute drive away. I was flying down these tiny roads to get there. I'm so grateful that the bus driver stayed and waited. He was actually calling Derek as I was pulling up. I have been beating myself up about it ever since. Yesterday I was a wreck. Today is better but not much. I pretty much hate myself. I literally hit my all time low yesterday. Feeling like a failure in so many ways. Missing  "home" so very much.

Don't get me wrong, I do like it here. I am just having one of those days......or couple of days. It will get better. I'm baking cookies right now in hopes of winning the bus driver back over. He didn't seem too thrilled about yesterdays events. I don't blame him. And, unfortunately, my cookies probably won't do any good because I'm a terrible cook/baker. I have this beautiful kitchen and I'm putting it to shame!

Anyway, back to what's new...........we bought some curtains for 4 of our windows. We were starting to feel like exhibitionists! Blinds and curtains are not all that common here. Crazy. Unfortunately, that totaled over 140 pounds, which comes out to over $200. Things are so expensive here! There is like a 20% tax on everything, which, we CAN get VAT free but it's a huge pain. We have to get an invoice before we purchase it and then take it to whoever deals with that on base. They have to approve it and then it will usually take another day for them to actually cut us a check for the taxed amount and THEN we have to go back to the store to make our purchase. We're 30 minutes from the base one way and at least 30 minutes from most shopping places in opposite directions. We probably won't be filing for VAT free things that much. Sad, that's probably why the military is doing it that way........so we won't take advantage of it.

I think I've mentioned before that none of our rooms have closets. We had to get wardrobes for each of us. They are no way near big enough to fit all of our clothes.........but they are big enough that they take up a good chuck of each room. :( Lose - lose situation. Yeah, we're quickly realizing that this house isn't as big as we thought it was. 1) we have too much junk 2) the house isn't as big as we thought it was 3) half of our boxes were toys. The kids have WAY TOO MANY! So, please don't send them anymore toys the next 3 years. If you feel like you should send them something, just send money and we'll put it in their savings accounts. We are doing a major toy clearing right now and the kids are NOT happy about it. But, I guarantee they won't even remember that they are gone in a few months.

Since we've moved in Blake has transitioned to his toddler bed. He is such a big boy! He was definitely our easiest child to transition. He goes to bed when we ask him and he doesn't get out, even for naps! The only thing that he's had a hard time with is sleeping in. He's been getting up around 5-5:30am each morning. I'm not sure why but at least we're not having to fight him all night long! He definitely misses his sisters during the day........but he does love his one on one time too! He is also learning to play really well on his own.

Avery, surprisingly, is loving school. I was really thinking we should wait another year to send her. I think and hope she's proving me wrong! So proud of her! She is an absolute doll and everyone adores her. Her favorite part of the day is "playing" and I can tell she really likes STEM as well. She was so excited to tell us all about it!  Her least favorite subject is Spanish. I asked her why and she said because she doesn't know what the lady is saying! lol. She also gets confused sometimes about whether or not her and Allie are in the same school. Their school is more like a campus. It's spread out in different buildings and her and Allie are not in the same building.

Allie is my little angel, like always. Such a big helper. She is wise and mature beyond her years. We are so very blessed to have her in our lives. Yesterday she was so calm and cool about the whole bus situation. I mean, I know she was a little nervous and wondering what was going on but, at the same time, she knew that I was a wreck about the whole situation. So she kept assuring me that her and Avery were fine and let me know that I didn't need to be sorry she understood that I was tired. What seven year old says that!!! She is seriously amazing. She is loving school and has already made a couple of friends.  Her favorite subject, surprisingly, is Spanish. She also enjoys STEM. Her least favorite so far is Host Nation, which is a class dedicated to learning about England. She said it's boring learning about the Kings. Oh, and she loves that she has 3 recess breaks. And, by the way, they go outside no matter what the weather is like it seems!

We have only met one neighbor so far, Peter is his name. His wife is Niki, she just had a stroke a few weeks ago. He is a retired Policeman. I've met a couple people at the bus stop. Chris & Kris are Americans, from Texas actually.....and Kris introduced me to a couple of her British friends. The British students get off the bus right before our kids are dropped off. Speaking of British school..........I'm kind of glad we didn't end up sending the kids there. We found out that the kids have to change out of their uniforms into PE clothes everyday.........and they all change together in the classroom. I'm not all that comfortable with that and I know Allie would definitely not be comfortable with that either!

UPDATE: gave the cookies to the bus driver. He was very appreciative and understanding. Made me feel better about everything. :)
I could go on and on about what's new because really everything over here is new. It's getting closer to time for me to leave to pick up the girls though so I'm going to have to just stop here. Until the next post..........

Now for a few pictures from my phone.
Avery hanging out by a pond while Daddy is test driving a car
These are the kind of roads we drive every day, some a little better, some even worse. Not the greatest picture but this is a TWO lane road
I almost forgot we were on an island. We are only 45 minutes or so to the coast. Our church building is up this way so we stopped by after church last week.
Blake eating an apple from our apple tree
Playing in the back yard. As long as it's nice out they play outside after school for a while.
Our Big Boy!
Watching Daddy play football (aka soccer)
 


5 comments:

TerriV said...

I remember when I visited Pam when
she was overseas and how homesick
I was and I was only gone 10 days.
Getting involved with the girls school hopefully you can start meeting people and get some friends.
Love you, Mom

Nicole and Abe said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. It is ROUGH moving overseas. It took me a LONG time to get adjusted.... wait, it's been two years and sometimes I still don't feel adjusted :) Lucky Allie has 3 recesses. Adeline did in Kindergarten last year, but now she only has two. Ha, she was quite bummed about that! She also does Host Nation. On your down days, just try to think of PORTUGAL! Or call me if that will make you feel better :)

Craig and Ashley said...

Loved the update. Hang in there!! tell everyone we said hi!!

Anonymous said...

Hi~ Love the new pictures! The kid's are growing too fast:) So glad the girl's are liking school.

Love to all,
Aunt Ang

Unknown said...

Exactly..don't be so hard on yourself. That was just a minor mishap, and everything was fine!! Loved reading about the girls' comments about school. So funny! Praying you quickly transition to your life in England...what an adventure!!