Saturday, February 26, 2011

Intruder

The other night I awoke several times to noises in the house. You know how when you are dreaming and you hear a sound that sound is probably really happening?? Especially when the sound jolts you up out of your dream. Those are the sounds I heard. The last noise I heard sounded like footsteps or a creaking of the floor. Now, my first thought was Avery because she tends to get out of bed a lot and she'll come right up next to me by the bed. Well, I didn't see her anywhere. It was pitch black though because we hadn't turned on the night light in the hallway so I sat up and listened and waited a little longer. Nothing. Maybe I was just really out of it, I thought. I had taken a sleeping pill that night. No, this was like the third time I had woken up. So I woke Derek up and explained everything to him. He must have thought I was crazy because he didn't grab the gun this time. He just grabbed his cell phone and turned it on to use as a flashlight to check the hall. The minute he turned on the light to the stairway I was comforted and fell back to sleep! Next thing I know Derek is back outside our bedroom - peeking around the door. I see him holding something........Is that a bat?! It's something long. Why is he whispering? And panting? "Brooke, I need your help!" "Didn't you hear me scream and yell for you?" Did you fall asleep as soon as I went to check for an intruder?!" Uh, I guess so.....my heart is pounding. My first thought is.....should I grab the gun? Then I start to see a little clearer and see he's holding a broom. I don't think that would hold off an intruder. I go downstairs with Derek and he explains that he found the intruder in the pantry.......and now it's somewhere behind the refidgerator. Yeah, it was a mouse! Ugh, this is our second mouse. I don't know where they are getting in at. Anyway, Derek set up one of those sticky mouse traps at both sides of the fridge and he slowly scooted it back. Nothing. He got a flashlight so I could watch for it better and then he started swatting the broom around back there. Next thing we know we hear the mouse squealing. Derek's trap worked! The intruder had been captured. Derek took care of the rest of it while I went right back to bed and fell fast asleep.
I still have no idea what those sounds were that I heard.

3 comments:

Katrina Senasec said...

Holy cow, I'm glad it was just a mouse, I really thought you had a person in your house!!! Funny story!! :)

Anonymous said...

Had me worried Brooke . Thought for sure you had a real intruder...... Glad it wasn't !!......hi girls...

Tami H. said...

This was a great well written story, had us all in suspense!! And, then, had us laughing :)
Especially since I was upstairs the night of the first intruder (mouse) and I heard a crazy raquet downstairs, yells of get the bucket,get the broom - I thought someone was violently ill, until derek shouted to get the broom. Anyway, glad you caught him, hope he doesn't have many more friends.