I don't know what it is with the nightmares lately! I had two really bad ones last week. The most recent one was about someone breaking into our house and they had weapons (who knows what they were going to do with them). The scariest part was that I woke up from that nightmare to our house alarm going off!!! That is the worst feeling ever! My first thought is always to go protect my kids. I wake Derek up and he gets the gun and turns off the alarm. He then goes into the hallway and turns on the nearest light he can find.....checks the rooms upstairs and then heads downstairs to look around. Meanwhile I look out all of the windows in our room to see if I see anyone running away (we have windows to the front and back of the house in our room).I don't know if this was the best way of doing all of this, but at least I was able to get him up. If the alarm wouldn't have been going off I would have had to have shaken him and hit him so hard to wake him up and then he would have been way out of it.........so I think the alarm is a good thing because it got him up and going. I didn't have to do much nudging or explaining when I got him up. In the end, we never saw anyone and all of our doors were still locked. Freaky!
I think we need to set up a plan of action for if this ever REALLY happens.
- What do you think, should we turn off the alarm so we can hear what's going on or should we leave it going so it may scare the intruder away/be able to hide the sound of our movements as we search for them?
- Do we turn any lights on?
- My first instinct is to go straight to the girls and hide them/us. Should I stay with them or help Derek with the intruders?
These are just some thoughts that Derek and I talked about that night, but never really came to any decisons. I know we'll have guidance and direction given to us, but I still think it's good to have some sort of a plan!!
So, what prompted me to write up this blog post was when Allie told me this morning about her bad dream last night. She said she was dreaming about a lizard that said, "roar"! Funny because we've been finding little lizards all over the house. Gross, I know! Maybe her dream wasn't actually a dream though! She said she came downstairs to get Daddy to help her "pray about Jesus". Then when they were walking up the stairs, right there on the landing, was.........a lizard!! (She said she kept an eye on it while Daddy got some toilet paper and picked it up and took it outside). Hopefully it's the one that I saw crawl out of the oven a couple of weeks ago so I won't have to worry about where he is anymore!
1 comment:
Agh...hate those alarms sometimes! Once ours went off in the middle of the night -- we left it on, kept the lights off and sneaked around the house,checking doors and looking outside. We let the police come because we were nervous and I about died having to go down in the basement to check because our alarm panel showed it was the grate that covers the ladder to the basement window that had set off the alarm. Two officers came (didn't tell us they were there) and were sneaking around our yard & Greg was outside looking around and they scared him to death when they hollered at him with their guns pulled. Never found anything and appeared our grate alarm connection had come loose and caused the alarm to go off. Our library connections set off our alarm often during the daytime or when we're out of town - we tell the alarm company to ignore it because we've had to pay $100 false alarm fees too often and we figure it's just the connection. I like the security of a monitored alarm, but sometimes we wonder if they scare us more! I'm like you, though -- go for the kids first and hide them away.
Post a Comment