Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Wrong Side of the Road



For those that haven't heard, Derek received his PCS (permanent change of station) orders. He is to report to RAF Mildenhall (Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall) by 15 August. Where is RAF Mildenhall you ask? ENGLAND!!!! It's about an hour and a half north of London. We are excited, nervous, overwhelmed.......you name it! We'll probably be there for 3-4 years. That's the usual amount of time to stay in one place but, then again, you never know with the military. With that being said, there is a slight possibility that his orders could change in the mean time.....like I said, you never know with the military. Official orders are usually processed 90 days out so we don't want to do too much planning until May or so.

I am a planner though so I'm already going crazy trying to figure out all that I'm going to have to do on my own to get ready for this huge move (since Derek doesn't get home until July.) I really don't even know where to start! But, like I said, we are super excited. What a great opportunity to travel all over Europe. We absolutely loved our quick week and a half excursion a few years ago! We think this will be a great experience for our kids and hopefully bring our little family closer together because we've been apart for WAY TOO LONG! We'll also be only 6 hours from our good friends, the Barkers, who are in Germany right now! Bonus! Plus, the language in England is....English so we don't have to worry about a language barrier. Driving on the wrong side of the road will take some getting used to though!

4 comments:

Bryan and Kim said...

Start learning British slang now! I heard its different but still fun. We're so excited for you guys, can't wait to see pictures!

Nicole and Abe said...

I am so excited for you guys!! We are finally going to get to see you! We'll have to plan a trip to you, you to us and then maybe a trip somewhere else??!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, what an experience! You seem to have such a positive attitude about the move! That's awesome. Hope you are enjoying Lafayette for now. :)

Liz said...

So excited for you! I know our experience abroad brought us closer as a family.