Monday, August 27, 2012

Lousy

The past several days have been pretty intense and stressful. Avery was up all night one night throwing up, the next day she had shots (which she was such a trooper and extremely brave), then the next day the girls had dentist appointments and Avery was running a fever from her shots, the following day she still wasn't feeling all that well and Blake was starting to get a snotty nose.......and then that night it got terrible. I was livid, extra stressed, didn't know what to do and the list goes on with everything that was running through my head. We were wasting time at Toys R Us while waiting to get a call for our friends to meet them for dinner........the girls had coupons & money from their birthdays so we thought we'd shop for a bit. We were leaving customer service with their birthday balloons and crowns and when I went to put on Avery's crown there was a bug crawling on her head. The first thing I think of is lice because someone we know recently had it. The bug was big enough and visible enough that I was able to grab it and throw it on the ground. We immediately left, called our friends and told them we wouldn't be making it to dinner and made a few other calls since I had no idea what to do. The advice I got was to go to the drugstore and ask the pharmacist what to do. So, that's what I did. I bought several things (shampoo, furniture spray, this gel stuff and a nit pick).
Once home I immediately stripped down the beds and started washing bed clothes right away. Then sprayed the mattresses with the furniture spray........then sprayed the rest of our furniture. I pretty much emptied closets and rewashed EVERYTHING! I put the girls baby dolls in a garbage sack and stuck it in the garage in hopes that if any lice or eggs are on them that they will suffocate in the heat and die. Then we started the long, tedious process of the shampooing. I decided to do Allie and I's hair too, just in case. I never saw anything else in anyone's hair but I wanted to be safe. The only concern I had afterwards was that an area behind Avery's ear was a little red and when I used the pick in that area I saw some very tiny black spots (which could be lice poop) and some dandruff (possibly eggs??). Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm really looking for.
In the mean time, I am vacuuming our sheets every morning and rewashing our blankets and clothes are going straight to the washing machine. I vacuum bedrooms every morning and night and the rest of the house every night. I did find a little bug of some sort in their sock bins that were under their bed so I obviously washed all of that stuff and sprayed their bins and vacuumed those out. Then I got all of their baby doll clothes and washed those since they were in a bin under their bed too. I Sprayed the bin and vacuumed that........then washed all of their dress ups and bagged the things that couldn't be washed and put in the garage. I did find a big bug in the bottom of their dress up chest too. It could have been a water bug by the looks of it but who really knows! So I killed it, sprayed the chest and vacuumed it out. I'm also vacuuming the furniture every night.
I bought some baby oil this morning because Derek read that if the oil is saturated on the head for 8 hours it kills lice and the eggs. So I'm going to do that at night on all of us for the rest of the week (better safe than sorry) and then Friday we are supposed to use the lice shampoo again. We're actually going out of town Friday after noon for 3 days so I'm also going to buy 8 or so bug bombs and set them off before we go. They aren't supposed to be able to live longer than a day or two off a human host so hopefully we'll be in the complete clear by then.
I continue to check everyone's hair every chance I get and thankfully haven't seen anything yet!!!

UPDATE: After all of that work, I really don't think it was lice to begin with. The initial bug I saw was probably too big to be a louse, unless it was a full grown adult, but if that were the case we should have seen more and we never did. It was a TON of work and I hope and pray that I never have to do that again! I felt like such a dirtball (even if we didn't have it). And, the baby oil was not a good idea......no matter how many times we washed our hair it still looked greasy and disgusting. It took over a week for it to start looking normal again!!

No comments: