Saturday, July 23, 2011

More Home Improvements

While we were in Indiana Derek worked on a few projects around the house. The major project he did was rip up the laminate flooring in front of the stairs, bathroom, and laundry room. Then he replaced it with tile......doing all of the work himself. What a handy man!! It looks super nice.

You can kind of see the BEFORE look here with the laminate flooring at the bottom of the stairs. It looked weird because we had tile to the left in the main entry way and then off to the right is an entrance to the kitchen which has that same tile.

And AFTER
SO much better. We were so lucky to have been able to find the exact tile that was in the kitchen and entry way. This home was built in 2005 and there were two builders in the subdivision. We just so happened to have a half of a box of the tile that was left behind in our garage....so Derek called up the builders and found out where they got the tile. He then contacted that company and they said they are no longer making it, but that the did have some boxes left!

Now this was just smart. In order for everything to line up  and look uniform, Derek thought of doing this right where the kitchen and hallway meet up. I actually LOVE how this looks!

The other major thing Derek worked on was staining the swingset. It didn't look so hot. I don't have a good before pic, that I can find right now anyway. It looks A LOT better though. Now the girls can actually use the rock climbing wall too.
He actually built the roof on this. It came with a green tarp, but we thought the wood roof would make it look nicer. This is staying with the house when we move because we cemented it down. We also made the area underneath a sand box, which Derek built the cover for that as well.

We have a lot more projects that we would like to get done before baby gets here. So hopefully we'll have more "home improvement" pictures to come in the next month.

Today, Derek took the girls to Sea World. They've been asking to go ever since we got back to Texas. It's actually not too hot out today and kind of overcast. Maybe rain later??!! I probably could have handled going, but didn't realize it was actually decent out until I walked them out. Now I just need to use this time to get some things done around here! So, I'm off!

Sea World, here we come!!

5 comments:

Craig and Ashley said...

Good job Derek! House looks nice! Brooke, hope you got some time to relax today!

Brenda said...

I am SO impressed, Derek! You are really amazing. Wish we lived closer and could have some "group home improvement" parties and help each other. The girls are so cute - we miss you guys!

Bryan and Kim said...

What a handy man!!! The floor looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in person. I'm still so jealous of your awesome kitchen!

Tami H. said...

Love the little tile embelishment! Swingset looks good too!

TerriV said...

Wow, Derek your work looks good!!!
I see you still have green grass.