Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Squirrel Stew........that's what's cooking!! No, but seriously, we WILL get this creature. Is that some of our furniture stuffing in it's mouth?? He's hiding it in our back wall!! That's where he hides out too. I've always thought squirrels were kinda cute....until I saw this one. There are two of them that roam around out there and they have really dark fur. I've seen gray squirrels and brown squirrels but never these dark black squirrels. They are creepy and obviously very rude!

Back to serious business. I did this "What's Cookin' Wednesday" series a year or two ago and never got back into it. I haven't cooked a real meal in 3-4 months now (besides when our families were here). This definitely doesn't qualify as a "real" meal either.....and not healthy, at all. Cooking for just myself and two little ones isn't that easy. Especially when some smells still get to me and the girls are pretty picky. Tonight's dinner was a hit though. I wanted to share this simple grilled cheese that I make. It's a little different from your normal grilled cheese.
1) Set oven to 450. Yep, you're oven! You can cook more than one or two sandwiches at a time this way and they come out nice and crispy on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside!
2) Butter one side of each slice of bread, add a little bit of garlic powder or garlic spread to each slice as well. Then sprinkle some basil on top!
3) Add your normal slice of American cheese, but also add some shredded Italian cheese.
4) Bake for 5 minutes or so on each side.
These come out sooooo delish!! We all love it. Served along with some Spaghettio's and a nice dessert of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream. A real treat for our girls! They love ice cream but hardly ever get their own bowl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed our visit last night. Boy, the girls sure like
hide and seek!!! Yum, that grilled
cheese looks good.
Mom

Tami H. said...

We are just laughing, cuz of how much we all cooked when we were there!!! Definitely easier to cook when its for more people than just 1 adult and 2 kiddos (not to mention, when you can stand the smell of food cooking too).