The girls are off to school tomorrow. We thought we'd start a new family tradition and held a special back-to-school dinner tonight. Over the past couple of weeks we've talked about possible themes or family mottos to use for the year. We had a hard time narrowing it down to just one, but in the end we all agreed on: "We Can Do Hard Things." Tonight we set goals for the year (individually and as a family). We talked about how each one of us is faced with trials and challenges .... but we can overcome those things. I saw a quote the other day that said, "One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing to walk away (from your fears, insecurities, challenges etc.) or to try harder." We will choose to try harder ..... because "[we] can do all things through Christ who strengthens [us]." (Philippians 4:13)
The first day of school for the girls was August 31st (which means they go until the middle of June).
Both girls had a great day and both are happy with their teachers and have great friends in their classes! Allie was most excited to have her best friend in her class. Avery was most excited to know that she can look out her classroom window and see her old teacher in her classroom. I think they will both have a great year.....their last at Feltwell Elementary (and the longest they've ever been in one school!)
Blake's first day of school was September 3rd.
He went back and forth between being excited for school and definitely NOT excited. All this week he was definitely not excited. He looks fine in the pictures but he was so nervous, did not want to go and was begging me to let him stay home. It was soooo hard to take him. He was crying and I just kept thinking that he doesn't really need to go, there is no need to put him through this if it's not something he wants to do. Derek thinks I baby him too much, which I do.....because he's my baby. And deep down I know that Blake needs some social interaction with kids his own age and, at the same time, I need some time on my own. It was hard to leave him as he was crying and again begging me not to go. I told him I would walk in with him and stay for a little bit. One of his teachers tried to get him to sit with her and put together a puzzle, she could tell he wasn't to keen on that so she suggested to play with the trains. He immediately shook his head yes and walked over to the trains with her. He kept looking back to make sure I was still there. He seemed content playing and she gave me the nod to go, so I left. I thought about him ALL day! I was hoping that he was having a great time. I was so happy to see him when I picked him up and even happier to see that he was happy! He was so excited to tell me all about his day and about his new best friend who's name he still doesn't know. He asks to go to school everyday! He is only going twice a week. I'm starting to think I might send him another day for 1/2 a day. (we get 15 free hours and are only using 12 of them right now) Some days he will ask why I didn't pick him up at lunch time, but I think that is just because that was when I would pick him up last year. Technically the kid is supposed to be at the big school going to Reception (British Kindergarten) but I couldn't fathom sending my barely turned 4 year old to all day everyday Kindergarten!!

No comments:
Post a Comment