November 5th is a big deal around here. It's Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Night. You know, Remember, Remember the 5th of November. Both girls were learning about it in one of their specials classes....either Art or Host Nation. Allie had the whole poem memorized.
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, guy, t'was his intentTo blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below
To prove old England's overthrow.
By God's mercy he was catch'd
With a darkened lantern and burning match.
So, holler boys, holler boys, Let the bells ring.
Holler boys, holler boys, God save the king.
The bonfires and fireworks actually went on for several nights since the 5th fell on a Wednesday this year. We went out to eat Saturday night and came back to the sky ablaze. We thought for sure a house was on fire and it looked to be right where our house was. We were so nervous! Then all of a sudden the fireworks started going off.....and it clicked! It was behind our house....we don't remember it last year, but that is because we were in Paris with Natalie and Alex.
Family Game nights have been consisting of games geared towards Avery. They are usually dealing with sight words, counting/math, or time. Here we are playing Alphabet Bingo by the fire.
We had parent teacher conferences this month. Knowing the situation we were faced with last year with Avery, we've been concerned about how she was doing. We want to make sure we have good communication with her teacher this year so we can make sure she is on track...or at least know what we really need to be focusing on at home. The conference went better than expected.....also longer than expected...50 minutes! I hope we expressed our concerns well enough. I am hopeful that Avery will continue to progress. With Avery's conference going so far over, we were left with about 10 minutes with Allie's teacher. Allie is already reading at 4th grade level and her teacher is amazed with her writing....as are we!
Before conferences I made up a "GOALS" folder for Avery. We're focusing on the things she is struggling with and the goal is to see progression each week. She loves it! I've also been making extra worksheets for her to work on. One Saturday we loaded everyone up and went to one of Derek's hangars on base. The previous day had been the Squadron Thanksgiving luncheon so the bouncy house was still there. We set it up for the kids to play on while I cut flashcards, stapled together books, etc. Derek brought along some tools to start on the kids' teacher's gifts this year. We were there all day but we got a lot accomplished and the kids had fun!
The final product for the teachers' gifts. After we got them done, I realized it probably wasn't the best idea for a teacher gift...but, oh well.
We went bowling one night. Blake slept through most of it.
Blake is very in to playing "dress-up" now. The other day he came to me like this and said, "Look, I'm Grammy!"
Avery's School Project - Disguise a Turkey
And I realized I never posted a picture of our pumpkins. Allie carved her own this year. Avery picked out her design, which I partly drew and Derek carved.


.jpg)
.jpg)



1 comment:
Love the updates! We're so proud of all the kids! Love you all
Post a Comment