Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving

As a military family, holidays are HARD. Often we find ourselves far away from home, unable to spend time together with our families and, even worse, sometimes our spouses are away and we aren't able to go "home". Our friends become our family. We take each other in and help fill that void. This year we had our really good friends over for Thanksgiving weekend. They truly feel like family to us. We couldn't be more grateful for such wonderful friends. We are so glad they made the journey over here from Germany to spend the holiday with us (and grateful that they aren't sick enough of us yet to have us over to their home for Christmas/New Year) :)

We were having so much fun I didn't take many pictures. Not even a single one of our yummy Thanksgiving meal. While Nicole and I were cooking I did get out the cupcakes for the kiddos to decorate......they did it all on their own. (Thanks, Mom, for the supplies!)

 
We did a couple of crafts which I let Allie take the lead on and she really enjoyed that! :)
 
The day after Thanksgiving we went to Cambridge for the day. Still love that city!
 
 
 
There are several Willy Wonka style candy stores. Here is one of them.
She was in heaven!
She liked it because she loves the movie Willy Wonka but she could care less about the candy.
 
Their last full day here we went to High Lodge. We had our doubts about going because it was so wet and muddy out.....and also turned out to be really cold. It's a fun place to let the kids around though so we went for it.
Avery's face cracks me up in this one
 
Everyone had a turn on the zip line
and I do mean everyone
It ended up being a fairly quick trip. I think everyone was cold and hungry. We drove to base to get our fix of American food and ate at Taco Bell. :) That night we went to King's Lynn for dinner at the amazing Nandos.
 
They stuck us in the Vault Room. Really cool secluded sitting area.
 
I love this time of year in Europe. Everywhere you go there are Christmas Lights everywhere. So festive and pretty!
 
Thank you Barker family and Rob for spending the holiday with us!

4 comments:

alice.scanlon said...

What a wonderful experience your family is having Brooke. Beautiful pictures! Hi Allie, Avery, and Blake GG loves you.

TerriV said...

I was happy this morning to get the
message that the blog was updated!
I love that I can live your journey
through the blog and be a part of your many experiences. I'm sure you
had a great time with the Barker
family.
Love you, Mom

Nicole and Abe said...

I am so impressed with how prompt you are on blogging. I am getting very close to being caught up on my work, so hoping to actually get caught up on October AND November this week :) It was so fun spending Thanksgiving with you guys!!! Thanks for having us :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Brooke! I'm thankful you guys had family-friends around you. Its very difficult being a military family and being away but I'm glad you're making the best of it!
Love you guys
BK&H