Fast forward a few days, the night of the 23rd Avery seemed to be getting worse. Sometime early on the 24th Avery woke up and came into our room and seemed to be hallucinating. She just wasn't making any sense, said she couldn't see anything. Derek rushed her to the ER right then and there. They were gone for a LONG time and there was no wait at the ER either. Avery had to have 2 breathing treatments due to her terrible wheezing. She also had to have chest x-rays which revealed she had borderline pneumonia. They gave her some antibiotics and an inhaler to bring home. She seemed so much better after all of that. I'm sure part of it was relief for us in knowing she had been seen and now had some medication to help her along.
But then, that night, Blake comes in to our room coughing and crying, burning up. Go figure! I was kinda depressed Christmas morning. It's supposed to be a fun and exciting time for the kids. We had two that were sick! My morning got even worse when after the Santa gifts were opened all of a sudden Allie dropped to the floor clenching her stomach. She then took off running for the bathroom. I was so upset I wanted to cry. She came back into the room as white as a ghost. Thankfully, all of that was just because she was hungry. She didn't like our Christmas Eve dinner so she didn't really have anything to eat the night before. Avery was still better than she was last year and was up to opening presents but the excitement was missing. Blake really is just bad at night and early morning but once he gets up and going he seems okay. This was the first year he actually had an interest in opening gifts but still the total excitement wasn't there.
There was a moment during the day when I did crying. Just a mixture of emotions of various things. That was a good thing because I was starting to think I couldn't cry anymore. It all just got to me on top of missing my family at home. Also feeling a little sorry for myself. Even though I miss family and friends I don't always feel like we're missed much. For example, Christmas cards........we got like 9 cards from family/friends this year. 9!!! Derek has more than 9 siblings alone........my extended family is huge and then that's not even counting friends. We have twice as many cards from people here that barely know us! I guess I should feel loved in that sense. Yes, I realize people might not be on the ball like I was with their cards or they could be lost in the mail like ours did....time will tell I guess. On top of that, I went out of my way to send little goodies to EVERYONE in my extended family to have during their get-togethers. I thought at least one person would want to thank us (other than my parents, grandma & brother's family).There are other little things that make me rethink who our friends are and who really cares. I know it's all stupid and maybe I just shouldn't care.
Anywho...on to Christmas day. So, added to my disappointments we didn't really get the kids any toys for Christmas and we told family not to either.......so they were kind of disappointed themselves. We thought we would do something really great and got them a 4 day trip to Disney and tickets to a Taylor Swift concert. They were super excited about both but when everything was done they didn't have anything to play with. Bad call on our part. I don't want to spoil them and I thought the gift of travel/experience was a great idea for while we are in Europe. But we have to get them at least one or two toys! Noted. That will never happen again. Then I had the stress of fixing a huge meal for people coming over for dinner. We had invited all the single guys Derek works with to come. We had no idea how many were actually coming so we prepared for a lot......I told him he needed to at least call the ones he knew about to tell them about our sick kids. He decided not to b/c none of them had kids and he figured they'd think we didn't want them to come and since they were planning on it then they probably wouldn't have anything to do for their meal. Only 3 people ended up coming. The kids pretty much stayed away the whole time. We did play games which was fun. They actually ended up staying for 4 hours so I think Derek was right in them not minding the sick kids. The meal was good but we have SO many leftovers. I'm getting sick of it. We even sent a bunch home with the guys/gal!
Now for the pictures
First, the kids requested certain things for their Holiday parties at school. Allie's teacher actually had her students fill out a paper of what they wanted to bring and then sent it home to the parents to circle yes or no on whether or not we could bring it. I asked Allie what other kids wrote down and there were things like Cheetos. I'm sure it was an interesting party! :)
Allie requested pretzels with icing so this is what I made.
Avery's teacher didn't want to have much of a party and said we could send something small in if we wanted. Well, of course, Avery wanted to because her sister was bringing something in. We decided on this....Grinch kabobs
Monday night we got in the car and went on a Christmas lights scavenger hunt. We pretty much found all that we were looking for at this one house.
Christmas Eve we usually act out the Nativity. It was a one woman show this year.
Santa came!
Parents/Grandparents.........delivered!!
Christmas morning before heading down the stairs
To give you somewhat of an idea on what our Christmas morning was really like
Coming down the stairs to see if Santa came....
Opening presents.....
6 comments:
Awww!! I'm sorry it seemed like Murphy's Law attacked. :( We miss you guys so much and wish we could visit. I think you guys still did a great job...we also cut down on the gifts for the kiddos this year--not wanting to spoil them either, so I hear ya. The treats you made for the girls' classes were so cute!
Clara
:( I'm so sorry!!!! Hopefully there will be no more sickness going around and only mending. I really hope we still get to see you guys too! you are always so good at documenting with pictures... I am horrible! Hopefully you got our Christmas Card :) And I hear ya on being a little sad during the Holidays. It is hard being so far away from family! Plus, the mail is very delayed, so Christmas cards/presents I feel never make it on time :( You had every right to cry!!!
That stinks the kids were sick, hope they are better!! I love Blake's expression from Allie's gift. I usually send christmas cards but didn't this year it seems like it came so fast. I think I will try sending cards out the beginning of the year.
Brooke, I'm very sorry that you guys had a tough Christmas and a sick one. I really hope you enjoy your Disney trip and Taylor Swift concert though, those are great gifts and I know they'll enjoy them! I hope everyone is beginning to feel better, I heard that Blake went in to the ER too, poor baby. I know you'll have fun on your trip to Germany too! Did you get our Christmas card too? I sent yours before everyone elses... it was so cute that we used the same background on the back of our cards! And we really do appreciate the "Taste of England" it was such a great idea and we are so thankful. You'll have to let me know what everyone is missing and maybe we'll send a "Taste of Indiana/US"... though, I'm not sure Pepe's will travel well :( Love you guys, hang in there.
Xoxo,
BK&H
Im praying the rough part is over
and it is all up hill. The holidays
are hard even when you are with family because it is so hectic!! The kids look so cute all dressed up, love the boots!! Glad all the PJ's fit. I agree that the treats you made for the girls were really
cute and I'm sure tasty!! They got
great gifts and I'm sure very
appreciated:)
Love you all
Mom
Boogie, what a Christmas you had.... with the house problems, sick kids, and being home sick, you have every right to have a bawling hissy fit LOL ;o). It was a good surprise talking to you and Derek this morning, have a fabulous time in Germany -- and yes, Neil and I continued our discussion of where I worked LOL! I win. Love you guys. Hugs and kisses to the kids. And as always I love the pics!
xoxox Aunt Pam
Post a Comment