Friday, April 27, 2012

5 Year Plan

When Derek and I first got married we had a plan when it came to having children. We wanted to wait at least a year before trying to have any kids. Check. I was good with two or three children but Derek comes from a big family so he wanted six to eight. So, we agreed on five. My only thing was I wanted to be done having kids by the time I hit 30..........so we would only have enough time to have 5 kids in 5 years. After the complications with our first pregnancy we knew our dreams were no longer a reality. We are perfectly content with the 3 AMAZING children we have. I don't know that I would have been able to handle 5 kids so close in age. I got a taste of that earlier this week.
Ages: 5, 4, 3, 18 months, and 8 months

It wasn't too bad. I think the main thing was that I wasn't prepared for having the extra kids this day. I saw on FB that my friend was having a rough day and she's 27 weeks pregnant and has been having contractions already (her kids have all been 6 weeks early!) Being the good friend I am, I went to her house and picked them up. It was so incredibly hot that day (somewhere in the 90's). I had to get all four to the bus stop to pick up Allie. Then as soon as we got back I had to start dinner. I was making it for 3 families (us, my friend's family, and another lady that has chemo on Wednesdays). I wish it was a crockpot meal......unfortunately I was doing a meal that was a lot of work. It was a relief to get the meals delivered and the kids dropped off. They were really good though, I was just ready for a break. Avery and Blake had been extra whiny that day. Obviously the house was a mess. I had to get things somewhat cleaned up because I had to teach preschool the next day! I also had to make cupcakes for Allie's teachers birthday the next day! I was exhausted and looking forward to a good night's sleep after that day! Unfortunately, shortly after I went to bed, Avery woke me up saying she puked all over. Sure enough there was a trail from her bed to the bathroom. After cleaning that up, then her bed up, i get her back in bed. Poor girl got up several times during the night. The next morning we slept in a little.......a little too long. We were rushed to get ready and had a huge load of cupcakes and flowers to get delivered to Allie's teacher. Blake was still sleeping so I waited until the last minute to grab him. I opened the door to his room and was blasted with an awful smell. I grab him, change his nasty diaper and we head out. On the way to school I hear Allie go, "ewwwww, what's that on Blake's head." When we get to the school I check and it looked like matted puke in his hair! Sure enough when we get home I find the pile in his crib. I give him a bath, get things changed and scrubbed, cuddle him etc. Put him back down for a nap only for him to do the same thing again. Hopefully everyone is feeling better today and we can just take it easy.
And, I've gone off subject of my original post. Shows how exhausted I am. I'm just so thankful there was another plan in store for me because I really don't think I would have been able to have handled 5 children so close in age.

2 comments:

Erin's Blog said...

You sound like Super-Mom to me! You're so nice to help everyone! I hope you have a great weekend and get a chance to relax alittle!

alice.scanlon said...

Brooke, this was my smile on the face for today! Twenty years from now you will be able to use all your cute stories when you gather with your family. I can remember a few of those experiences myself. I'm sure your friends appreciate all you do for them, you are your mothers daughter. I got so caught up with your happenings I forgot what your picture is.....I'm sure it's cute!

Love you, G/G