Monday, January 11, 2010

Random Act of Kindness

So, today I was out getting a few groceries. I had both girls in tow, Avery asleep in my arms and Allie walking right along beside me. Since Avery was asleep I really didn't want to do the self check out, but that was pretty much all that was open (at least on the end of the store that I parked). So I went ahead and did it and let Allie scan each item. As we were finally finishing the man at the self checkout next to us ran over and said, "I'd like to pay for your groceries today." I'm sure I stood there in shock for a moment, but then I said, "No thanks, I'm okay." He then went on to say that he really wanted to and that it was a government card that needed to be used up anyway. He was getting ready to swipe his card and I said, well at least let me use my coupons! See, I had everything sort of planned out and I was pretty sure I'd be getting my groceries pretty cheap after I scanned them.......turns out the $25 went down to $6 (should have been $5 though because one of the coupons didn't get scanned). Anyway, he let me scan my coupons and he said, "Well, you're getting it for practically nothing after all of that why don't you go and get some more." I told him that it was okay, I didn't need any more and that he should use it on someone else. So he hurried up and swiped his card to pay for my groceries. I was really taken aback by his thoughtfullness from the get go, but after he actually swiped the card and all was said and done I was fighting back the tears. I really didn't need any help, as far as money goes, but his random act of kindness touched me. That was something I needed. Love and compassion for your fellow man, a complete stranger. I learned a great lesson today from Rick, who is moving to Arizona tomorrow. Something that I need to do a better job of myself. It doesn't even have to be paying for someones groceries, but something as little as letting someone take your cart at Aldi and letting them keep the quarter could even make someone's day. The tears were streaming down my face as I got in the car.
I've been touched today by a random act of kindnenss.

2 comments:

Charity Brown said...

How sweet of him!!! :)

Laurie said...

what an eye opener. It makes me feel bad that I don't do nearly enough for those around me.