Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Move

What a trying 4 day weekend!!! It didn't seem like anything was going right.......things surely couldn't get any worse, but it did.........we just kept pushing through all of our trials and tribulations and we have prevailed.........so far. Here's a summary of our move:

Derek got the moving truck on Thursday afternoon, which happened to be the coldest day of the winter so far. My Mom and Dad got to our house around 7 and Derek, my Dad and I all started loading up the truck after dinner while my Mom watched the girls. We decided we would just load the truck all the way up with whatever we could lift and have all of our help unload and then go back and load up all of the really heavy things. I think we got to bed around 2am with an almost packed truck. Derek and I were up by 6 to finish loading the last little bit and then he took off in the truck while I started boxing up a few more things. Not even 5 minutes after he left I got a call.........the truck broke down on the road outside of the subdivision. Someone couldn't come to work on the truck for at least 4 hours!! I tried to start our van to load it up and it wouldn't start........Derek's truck was stuck in the back yard from the night before when we were trying to get the trailer out. The scales to weigh everthing close at 4 and we need to get everything weighed if we want to get paid. Ugh! We call the moving truck place back and they said we could get another truck to use in the mean time. Derek and Joe head over to get that and it dies on the way to the house.........they get another one and it dies, and another one and it dies. Then they are told there is another truck they can use, but they couldn't find the keys! So they waited around for someone to bring another truck back that they knew was working and finally we had a truck.......In the mean time Laurie and I were bringing things up from the basement to load once the truck got there. 4 other guys showed up and helped bring up the heavy stuff. Then 3 more guys showed up and they all got Derek's truck out of the back yard............we got everything loaded, had lunch and then unloaded at the new house. The other truck finally got up and running and we got that one unloaded as well! We had about 13 people show up to help us, which we were so grateful for! Mom and Dad were a HUGE help by watching the girls for us. Dad helped out a lot by going back to the old house a couple times with Derek to load up the truck with the last little bit of junk we have. Joe and Laurie were also a HUGE help by spending the ENTIRE day with us on Friday to help with everything. You guys are the BEST! Our neighbors, at the old house, are letting us keep our trailer and boat in their "parking lot" for as long as we need so that helps out a lot too.
But, anyway, we're finally here. Nothing is organized yet. Our internet is up and running, satellite is up, and we should have phone by Friday. Our TV is junk now, but hopefully will get replaced since it's still under warranty. A lot of our stuff is scratched, cracked or broken but may not be such a bad thing because we need to get rid of a lot of stuff. We've already sold our pool table and shed!
We spoiled ourselves by eating out a lot this weekend.......Cheesecake Factory and El Toro were the best! We even bought Guitar Hero(I know, more junk, but this is good, fun junk...right?!)........it was a great deal since our Circuit City is going out of business. Hopefully we'll have everything organized and taken care of soon and I'll get some pics posted. We really weren't sure if we were going to like this house as much as the other but we really do love it. Even though we just found out that the foreclosure on the previous house has been postponed.........oh well, the move is done now and we are happy. If you ask Allie which house she likes better she'll say, " This one!!" We can definitely tell she does! Should be a great 15 months!

2 comments:

Nicole and Abe said...

I'm glad you guys are finally moved in. It sounded like such a disaster. I will call you tomorrow and see if you need any help this week unpacking or anything? Or entertainment for Allie? Well, talk to you later

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did not take me up on my offer to come out there and help you move. It was definitely SOOOO cold out (Sat was our first day getting above 0 degrees again). I'm glad you guys had such good help and are all moved.