Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Lake District

Our Labor Day weekend trip! We changed our destination several times (we have a hard time making decisions!) but we are so happy with our choice. The Lake District was absolutely gorgeous and we had the best weather while we were there. We picked the kids up from school Friday afternoon and took off. It's about a 5-5.5 hour drive from our house so it was late and really dark by the time we finally made it to the cottage. It was kind of scary the next day to see the roads that we were driving........right along the lakes with really no protection from you driving in if you happened to slide of the road. The roads were SO windy too. I was nauseous every day that we drove on them....the only downside to the area and could quite possibly keep me from going back.

We did stop in the quaint little town of Knaresborough on the way there. It is close to another Air Force base here. The scenery is so much better there!!


The Cottage (The Old Post Cottage in Coniston)


There was a hot tub. We went in it 2 nights!

The first morning was a little rainy. I had researched some indoor places just in case of bad weather. I found this museum called A Puzzling Place. It's an optical illusion museum. It was so cool and we had a lot of fun there!

This room was our favorite!

The weather had actually cleared up before we got there and so glad we decided to go ahead and still go in. The city this was in was super cute! Keswick. If we go again we will definitely make this city or Ambelside our base. It was Saturday so there was a huge market. We walked around and then had lunch at a quaint little pub ---which was really yummy too. Then we set off for a hike. This hike was pretty brutal. I wasn't sure I was going to make it. SO STEEP! It was exhausting, but worth it.


The way down was much easier.

Quick stop to add to "Charlie's Monument". When Derek and I made this reference Allie was curious. We told her it was a really good book that she needed to read. I just saw today that she has dug it out and set it aside! :)

We stopped in the village of Patterdale next. I had read that it was a neat little place. Avery and Blake had fallen asleep though. Derek was super tired. So we just parked and Allie and I got out and walked around while everyone else slept. There really wasn't much. Most places were closed.


Dinner in Ambleside. The restaurant we chose actually ended up being gluten free & vegetarian but it was delish!

Day 2.

Lowther Castle


Broughton Castle
We had SO much fun playing hide and seek here!

Since we were in the Lake District we had to go walk by a lake. So many to choose from.....we chose Ullswater Lake.

Then we hiked to Aira Force Waterfall

Dinner in Ambleside again. Tonight was thai.


Day 3. 
Had to take a picture of some of our drive. So pretty.

We stopped at Kirkstall Abbey. Unfortunately it was closed.

1 comment:

TerriV said...

once again, just beautiful pics!!!!
Love the pic of Avery asleep:)